Monday, July 11, 2011

Mission: Eat Right, Get Tight - Entry #4

Cooking Myself Thin


Hey Glories!

After a couple of redundant weeks of working out and still feeding my addiction to fast food, my weight was fluctuating up a down by a couple of pounds.  I decided I needed to take the weight loss issue into the kitchen.  Last time I lost weight, my mom was doing the cooking for me.  She was making traditional Trini dishes, but since she's somewhat health conscious, so it was working out just fine.  Now, I had to take the cooking into my own hands, which is perfectly fine, because I love to cook.  If my family members read this they'd be like "Gasp! What?!" because they don't see me cooking often.  I like to try out new recipes and things, so I'll quicker make something I saw on Food Network than make Dhal and Rice or something.  Not something I'm too proud of, because I'd hate to see the culture die with me and I become one of those women who can't make home cooked food as good as mom did, but for now since I have so many aunties and tanties to make it for me, I really don't see the need.  But cooking is something I really enjoy.  It's relaxing and freeing.  I put on my "A true Trini loves doubles, slight pepper" apron, turn the radio up on 103.5 FM where I can hear all my favorite classics and I rock out with my knife out!

I've seen a couple of episodes of "Cook Yourself Thin" and I always come across the book in the bookstore, but I never really take it on... in terms of, I never thought I've actually end up attempting to cook myself thin.  My current living circumstances changed all that!  There are a couple of recipes on the website, but I went out and got the "Cook Yourself Thin Faster" cookbook, because the bookstores in Grand Bazaar were out of the original book.

The first week, I real plan out my meals and put down the calorie count and scheduled days to eat leftovers (because the recipes usually make a 4 serving size) knowing to myself that this probably wouldn't go exactly as planned, which it didn't.  I didn't take into consideration the times when I'd have guests over who would eat my leftovers for the next day or when Dale's mom would send over something tasty to eat, which are things that you can't really schedule in anyway.

I'm in the middle of the 2nd week and when planning the meals, I was a bit looser in doing so, which is ideal for a # of reasons:

  • I can't be spending so much time planning everything to a T, this is tedious and impractical.
  • If it starts to feel like a chore, I won't want to do it.
  • For me to integrate this kind of cooking into my lifestyle, it has to be something that comes a bit more naturally, where I don't have to count everyyyyy single calorie of what I eat, because that gets.. annoying.
  • It would take the spontaneity out of life.. like when me and Dale ups and decide we want to go out.
I've lost 3 lbs since I've started and that's inclusive of a couple of cheat days. I haven't been working out a vigorously, but that's because Tanty Flow visiting.

According to the book, you should be eating your ideal weight in calories x 10.  So, I want to be 125, so I'm allotted 1250 calories for the day.  I usually plan my meals a bit under 1250 to cater for any substitutions I may make (using whole milk rather than skim) and for any unplanned cheats that may occur (Dale's mom sent over coconut bake last week), so lil treats and cheats are ok, which also helps me feel like I'm not dieting.  I don't deny myself anything!  It's everything in moderation, which keeps me happy and not feeling deprived of goodies.  Also, since exercise burns calories, it makes more calories available to me.  Keeping my meals slightly under 1250 allows for me to have lazy days as well, so I don't feel the pressure to have-to must-to work out everyday.

Pros:
  • Ingredients aren't difficult to find, so the recipes are "Trini Friendly" in that you don't need a health food store or specialty food store to find what your looking for.
  • Things can be swapped.  They give you alternatives to use, which is economical (so you don't have to run out and buy what the recipe calls for, you can use what you have) and it keeps it exciting, because you can try different variations, rather than have the same thing over and over again.
  • The recipes in "Cook Yourself Thin Faster" aren't as time consuming as the recipes from the 1st book, so it caters to people on the go.
  • I get to have "fast food" in my house, but better because I get to control what I put in it and know that the burger cart man didn't just take a wizz without washing his hands or the i-hate-my-job cashier/cook didn't spit in my food.
Cons:
  • Eating healthy is expensive!  Not as expensive as eating out, but more expensive than making regular groceries - whole grains and whole wheats just cost more!
  • Having to plan my meals out to come capacity, because without planning, I may not have all the ingredients that I need.
  • Sometimes I started to feel hungry in between meals (which is inclusive of healthy snacks) and I feared my body going into starvation mode.  Now, I just snack more to prevent feeling hungry, even though they suggest only 2 100 calories snacks for the day.
The next entry will be what I made for Week 1 along with commentary.  I tried to take pictures, but sometimes I forgot.  I will be more conscious of this for Week 2.

♥,
[MMS]

2 comments:

  1. Marsha I agree is more expensive but your body feels awesome.. like with more energy
    And I saw the photo shoot it was amazing!!

    xx
    Rosa

    My Stylish Little Secret
    http://mystylishlittlesecret.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. your right! and i do feel a difference already.. i had a pizza the other day and felt SO SLUGGISH as compared to when I make me own meals.

    And thanks very much!.. I can't wait to do another one soon

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting, i love reading your feedback! please support by FOLLOWING & SUBSCRIBING =]